Saturday, May 8, 2010

Peaks and Valleys Vol.2



H E R O

I sit here typing this blog with a welling of tears in my eyes, the song “What do I know of Holy” playing in the background, and my head spinning with thoughts and emotions.  I am a full week in to my journey in Colorado Springs now and I have never been so amazed at the power of God, and the power of human will.  I am surrounded by miracles everywhere I look. 

The wounded warriors that I am working with are all soldiers who have been injured during duty.  The extent of their injuries extend from gunshot wounds, lost limbs, TBI (Traumatic Brain Injury), PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder), loss of vision, loss of hearing, paralysis, and the list goes on.  I am so honored to be in their presence and constantly in such awe of them.  Yes, I have always been conscious of the dedication, risk, and sacrifice of the men and women in the armed forces, but seeing them day in and day out, I have a new perspective.   I will never see the word HERO again in the same light.  Not only for what they have done for our country, for us, for me, for my son to live in freedom and grow up with hope; or because they have lost what we each take for granted on a daily basis, or for the lives lost, or even for their continued service to the country; these hero’s have redefined HERO for me because they have not given up, not on themselves, not on others, not on life.  In the week I have been here, I have yet to hear a single warrior complain, make excuses, or even give me less than 100% of what I ask.  They press on with pride, with dignity, and with a desire and purpose that I could only dream of obtaining.  I am so honored to be a part of this event.  I hate to say, as a coach I am sure I have only taught my athletes a mere fraction of what they have taught me.  This is so much bigger than a competition for medals and for the promotion of the Marine Corps; it is a true celebration of the spirit of Man!  

I want to share an example of the Spirit I have seen present in these men;
Chuck, a blind, double amputee, who has terminal brain cancer, refuses to be helped down the stairs.  He is competing in 3 swimming events and has never been seen here without a smile on his face.  He was chosen to carry the torch for the Marine Corps and due to his lack of vision, it was suggested that someone assist him.  When asked who he would like to assist him, he chose a good friend of his, also a warrior, who has lost the use of his legs.  With the hint of skepticism in the meeting evident, Billy, the soldier without use of his legs said come on Chuck, wheeled over to where Chuck was waiting and proceeded to push him across the room.  Chuck raised his hand in triumph and we all broke in to applause…Who am I to be blessed with the company of such people? 

I Love you Kristen Petersen.  Thank you for your sacrifice and for allowing me this opportunity.  What you do for our family, for me, and for our son goes overlooked and unmentioned more often than not…You are amazing!  I miss you and adore you.

1 comment:

  1. This is amazing, Brent. You are blessed and THEY are as well to have such a compassionate coach and new friend in you. I know that this Mother's Day has got to be hard for you. Your post from Asher's point of view is great too. You are all lucky to have each other. Call when you get back. I'm not just saying this - we need to get together.

    ILAF

    ReplyDelete