Monday, May 17, 2010

Wounded Warrior Games



Brent's team wins GOLD in Wounded Warrior Games (Click for video)

     It's pretty safe to say that Brent was severely missed over the past 15 days.  He went to the Olympic Training Facility in Colorado to coach the Marine volleyball team in the Wounded Warrior Games.  I can't say that I was completely supportive of this decision.  I also can't say that I was as nice as I could have been when he was able to call and catch up.  I can't believe I am admitting this, but I actually resented him some for choosing to take 2 weeks of vacation time from work and leave his son and stay-at-home wife.  I told him how he's the bright spot at the end of my day and I just couldn't imagine going through the day knowing that (honestly) there'd be no relief, no shared responsibility, no break.  I know Satan was sticking his ugly head in my thoughts and emotions.  He went as far to say that "Brent only took a week and a day off when Asher was born and yet he can take 2 weeks off to go away and have fun without his family!?!"  The good thing is that I'm able to recognize Satan's voice and use my Christian knowledge to push him away.

     This morning I took time to watch videos of the games, look at pictures, read quotes, and cry.  I am so blessed to have a husband who would sacrifice time from his family, work, routine, and change lives of those who've lost so much.  Brent is the bright spot at the end of my day but why not share that light?  He changes lives wherever he goes.  He is so positive, energetic, crazy, and he is amazing with words.  He has the knowledge and skill of volleyball that guides others to gold medals!  I only wish I had taken the time to look at all the videos and thought about all the lives that he was changing instead of selfishly thinking of how he was changing mine?  As I watched this video (and others), I saw soldiers crying as they achieve a great victory that they may have thought was lost with their mobility.  So, this morning my thinking is different.  I am so thankful for Brent's opportunity.  I am so thankful for the wounded soldiers who have a new found feeling of accomplishment.  I am so thankful for the memories that have been made.  I am so thankful that my eyes have been opened.

4 comments:

  1. Love your honesty! Enjoyed reading this post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Picked you up from Morgan Kate and have flipped through the posts- what a wonderful Christian testimony you both are and such a lighthouse for others. Your honesty slams the door on Satan -
    the video is awesome and what a great opportunity for your whole family. even though your husband took time from the family I can only imagine how much more joy, peace, and wholeness he returned with to share with you and then to only think of what light he poured out to the wounded warriors.... breath taking

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your initial feelings were very similar to feelings I might actually have had myself. And I think they are perfectly normal. But I am so thankful that you were able to watch the videos and read the testimonies and feel differently. Brent is an amazing person and I know there are so many "warriors" out there who will be forever touched because of him! And those same "warriors" are probably so thankful to YOU for sharing your hubby with them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Right on, Kristin. I totally understand your reluctance but it is brave of you to be so honest about all of these feelings publicly. Of course it was the right thing for Brent to go. You and Asher will have him for the rest of your lives. Now you will even have the new and improved Brent. I'm sure that this experience has made him a better man. What a great opportunity for him and a chance to grow for you both. I need some Petersen!

    ReplyDelete