Saturday, May 1, 2010

Peaks and Valleys Vol. 1

I was doing so well with the blog…and I could list a slew of excuses as to why I have been so slack, but I chose not to.  I am going to try to do better. 

PEAKS AND VALLEYS vol.1

I am on my way to Colorado Springs, story later, and I can’t get over my life.  I guess everyone’s life is full of the same ups and downs, but is fascinating to me the depth of life’s valleys and the altitude of the peaks.  I read this book that was not so great titled Peaks and Valleys.  In the book the author states “What you do during your valleys, will determine your next peak.  And what you do during your peaks will determine your next valley.” I am a firm believer in this and try to learn from my valleys and make the best of them, while not forgetting to look closely at what got me there in the first place and how to get out of it as soon as appropriate.  The same goes for the peaks, look around and enjoy the time there, what good is it if you do not, but also look at what got you there and how you can make your stay there longer and more frequent. 

My first peak, that I have been on for quite some time, is my marriage.  Now, we do have our peaks and valleys, but when your valley is still far above sea level it is not that bad!  My wife is amazing in so many ways and I want to be better at showing it.  It is amazing to me how easy it is to lose sight of the beautiful and blessed things around you everyday.  She works so hard day in and day out to raise our son Asher, and then has to deal with her second child…ME!  She sacrifices sleep, sanity, order and sometimes-needed socialization to give Asher everything he needs to grow into a great boy.  She is doing an amazing job and I am so proud to be her husband and father of her child.  With Mother’s Day approaching, I want her to know more than ever how great she is and how much she does for our family.  I have the easy job!  I hope she knows this now and for always.




Speaking of Mother’s Day and Valleys, My mother, Carole, passed away on the 13th of March.  She battled pancreatic and lung cancer for over 20 months.  There is no feeling in the world like losing your mother.  I say the word “losing” with hesitation because one of the most wonderful things about my mom is that she has taught me so many things that will never leave me.  I am human, and there are the things that I miss;
Our conversations
her amazing smile
her laugh
her outstanding cooking
her female perspective
the way she made my dad smile
the way she looked at my son
her beautiful garden
the feeling of security that only mom can give you in her arms

I think about her often. I know she is with God and is happier than she has ever been, that alone makes me ok with this.   My mom is amazing, and I remember how wonderful she was each time I think of her.  Raising three boys and a husband…Petersen boys nonetheless!  Working all of her life, providing so much stability for us, teaching us, training us, molding us into who we are today.  I asked her on more than one occasion, “What did you do to make me who I am today?”  I am proud of the person I have become and though I would have done some things differently in the past, I am so blessed to have the life I have, the morals and values I believe in, and the courage to take action when needed.  She would always say that she was blessed with amazing children and an amazing family; she said she didn’t do anything but love us to death.  And she did.  Even in her final days, when it would have been easier for her to take the hand of the Lord, and go to the place of no pain or suffering, she stayed for us.  I had not spent that much time with my family since  before Chris went to college, 1989-1990.  Day after day we celebrated mom’s life, reconnected, laughed, cried, played, ate…we enjoyed our time together.  Our family is close, but this was amazing.  My uncle Bill, mom's brother, and aunt Brenda were there and I have never felt so close to them in my whole life.  Mom did that for us.  When there was seemingly nothing left to give, one of the most selfless people I know continued to give more.  She is and has always been an inspiration to me and I only hope I continue to make her proud by living a selfless existence, and by making a difference in this short time on earth we call life.  

3 comments:

  1. I am so glad that you wrote this. You say things when you write, careful things, thoughtful things. Your mom was a blessing to us all because she brought us you and Ryan and Chris, and you brought us Asher and he will, in turn bring wonder and beauty to the world.

    Death is a debt we incur when we are born, yet no matter how much we can reasonably conceive of that fact, there is such sadness when it comes to one so close. There is such a finality. LIfe won't be the same without Carole. Life is lonelier, there is sadness. But there are the blessings she left behind. When you look into Asher's eyes and those of your bros and nephews and nieces, you will see Carole. She is still here - in all of them. And because you think of her as kind and sweet you will see it in the kindness around you.

    You are blessed so much more than those who think of death as the end. I am sorry for your loss, old friend. In love and friendship,

    Timmo

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a beautiful post! Thank you for sharing your feelings and thoughts and emotions about two wonderful, wonderful women. Your mom will forever live on through you and through your precious, precious son. You guys have been on my mind so much. I am so sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My eyes filled with tears as I read your post, Brent. How extradionary for a son to be so honest with his feelings and emotions about his mom. I remember when that picture of the two of you were taken - she glowed that night about as much as you did. May God comfort you and I know the journey will be easier with Kristen by your side. Take care!

    ReplyDelete