Tuesday, January 5, 2010

We all have a purpose

Today watching some people work, I had to wonder, why would anyone do something for a living if they did not enjoy what they do? Money, security, a means to an end, feelings of being trapped, unqualified to move on, lazy, complacent...scared of change and risk? I have to say, I have had plenty of jobs in my short time here, Kristen and I joke about it all the time. Some jobs have been summer jobs just to get some extra cash; power-washer, banquet hall dish boy and server, substation employee. While others have been for the experience and the opportunity to try something new; Technician for an engineering firm, Calvin Klein sales, Home repair business. Every job I have had served me a purpose, and though some were more enjoyable than others, I can appreciate them all. I would not want to do any of those jobs for a living, or for a career, but they were magnificent stepping stones that taught me diversity, hard work, and helped to fine tune my future. I Love my job. My job is more than a career choice, it is a life choice. I am a teacher. I am a teacher and a learner; they go hand in hand. I try to learn everyday and I try to teach everyday. I can't imagine my life without learning, growing, sharing thoughts, inquiring. I would love to think that there is a job, a calling, a purpose out there for everyone. I am sure God has a plan and a design for us all. It hurts my heart to see people where they are not happy...especially if they have a choice. I pray that they will discover their calling and trust in God. He will not lead them astray. I am so blessed to have found my calling.

2 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree more. OF course there are days that don't go that well. More likely there are grownups who interfere with what's optimal in the classroom. But isn't it cool at the end of the day to head back to the homestead and know that - for the most part - we did what we could to make someone's life better in some way? Sometimes it feels so good that I feel sorry for anyone who is not me (and now you).

    It's great to read your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know exactly what you mean. Joy is a choice...why not make the choice? And a campfire would be great!

    ReplyDelete