Thursday, January 28, 2010

Whoa Now!

Ok, so Brent reminded me that not too long ago, I began my last post with, "I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this age."  What a difference a few days can make because my little boy seems to be letting us know what he wants and doesn't want quite often.  When he doesn't get his way, he has a new head thrash.  He throws his head back and fusses as if his world is over something is just horrible.  When he grabs something he shouldn't have and I ask for it back, he takes off running, and I mean running all while smiling and looking back at me.  Ok, this is pretty cute too, but I try to remember my mommy discipline face.  He has also mastered the gymnast arch of the back when he wants to get down out of our lap or arms.  The scary part is I had Kindergarten students who had similar behaviors by this I mean fits when they didn't get their way.  I just hope and pray that I am doing everything right.  I often have to remind myself, he's still just a baby.  Brent and I both have undergraduate degrees in Psychology so there's a lot of analyzing in the Petersen household.  We think thought we have had everything figured out.  So, enough about my parenting worries let me point out a few of the fun things that have been going on.
     Asher has started cleaning up after himself!  It's so cute.  He's becoming so independent and HE wants to brush his teeth, comb his hair, wipe his mouth and tray.  Yesterday, I had him wipe up something off of the floor and without even telling him or ever explaining the purpose of a trash can, he walked over to the kitchen trash and threw his paper towel away!  He learns so many things even when we aren't teaching them.  I'm thinking for 13 months, he's a pretty bright little man.  Must take after his daddy.  I will however claim the strong willed, wanting to get his way, part of his personality or of course this could just be typical for 13 months.  : )

Our Sweet Boy




Finally facing forward! 




A sleepy boy after waiting in the hospital to see our new nephew Breck.  I love moments like these...




The Petersens




A day trip to Rock Hill for me to visit my friends and Asher got to play with his. 
Ansley (5 months older), Asher, Riley (11 days younger)




A sweet kiss from Ansley


1 comment:

  1. It's all about balance, isn't it? I mean you WANT him to be independent and strong willed, so you reward and appreciate all of those qualities. At the same time there has to be cooperation and compliance. You don't want to raise a defiant little brat. Wouldn't it be great if parenting was as simple as using a formula, a book, a set of instructions? Sadly we are all flying by the seat of our pants - know what I mean? So - it seems to me - it comes down to love. Every child is different. The same thing doesn't work for everyone. But love seems the universal. Oh yeah, and lots of prayers. You guys are great parents.

    ReplyDelete