Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Broken Arrow

(Just added to the Playlist.)  Ok, I giggle a little just thinking about what crosses your mind if you visit the blog and Broken Arrow begins to play by Rod Stewart.  I LOVE this song!  It's funny because I go for long periods of time without hearing it but when I do, the volume goes up.  It seems like such a powerful song and yet Brent and I had a deep discussion in the car one day about what we each thought it was about.  Turns out, we both had different ideas.  So, I welcome interpretations...scroll to the bottom, go to track 23, and turn up the volume.  You have to listen to the whole song because it definitely gets stronger.  Oh, it's even better sung with windows down in the car.  : )  Enjoy!

Tim, I look forward to hearing what you have to say about this one.  : )

3 comments:

  1. Hi you guys,

    Yeah, I know this song. It's actually by Robbie Robertson. You are probably too young to know him. He was a singer, song writer, guitarist for an awesome band from the old days called "The Band".

    Robertson is a Native American (Who else is gonna bring you a broken arrow? Who else is gonna bring you a bottle of rain?). To me this is an NA song about loving a non-Native and being trapped within his beliefs - sort of preventing him from being with her. But he is willing to sacrifice that to be with her. (They can't hold me with these iron walls. We got mountains to climb) But there is someone else in the picture - he's broken hearted and powerless. (There he goes moving across the water. There he goes turning my whole world around)

    To me this is a sad song of love lost. But that is what song writing is all about - sharing emotions. All emotions. Everything in our lives isn't happy-happy-joy-joy, right? We are complex creatures with pain, sorrow, loss as well as love and happiness.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXFUr0sEgMI

    I found this version of Robertson's on Youtube. You probably won't like it as much because you know Rod's version well. But this is the real deal, the real emotions that only Robertson can convey because it's his. Hold on until the end. When he sings "Turning my whole world around" you can hear/feel the sadness. Great song. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Tim, I knew I could count on you for that one. I did not know the original version and it does change the meaning a bit. I actually like the original also. I love a song that tells a story and now this story is a little more clear to me. Slow songs are actually my favorite. Probably why my favorite artist of all time is Sarah. (McLachlin for those who don't know me. Those who do, already know we're on a first name basis.) : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. how sweet to see unborn baby with 4D ultrasounds ultrasounds

    ReplyDelete